Sunday, June 24, 2007

A Diatribe on Patriotism

I realised that the only aspect of patriotism comes out in me when I wish “jai hind” to the security guards in my college. That’s only because they are ex-servicemen and I might require their help sometime in the near future. But apart from that, patriotism has died in me and you know what, I’m proud of it. I go to China and look at an economic marvel and here I am in a land reminiscent of poverty and corruption. Things couldn’t have been worse in this Country. This is as bad if not worse than the ‘Curse of Bambino’ which was apparently spread for the failure of the Red Sox to win a series between 1918- 2004. I make the comparison because we Indians are people of excuses. We need an excuse for failure and will never work upon it to make it a success.

Bombay witnessed another series of heavy rains today. The people of that City again started cursing the administration for the lack of any measures taken on their part. This is not new and happens every year and dies down once the rains are over. My brother missed an exam today because of the rain. There are surely thousands more who were affected in such adverse ways due to the rains. I can imagine that BMC Commissioner sitting in his chair in his office near Victoria terminus (the clean Bombay) and drinking hot tea while the rest of Bombay suffers. The excuse, “We are just too over populated to do anything. It is impossible to take any action with so many people around”. This is where I go back to China mentioned earlier and would like to credit them for the marvel they made out of Shanghai.

Poverty and red-tapism seem to have become buzzwords attached to the Indian administration and the people have ‘resolved’ not to do anything about it. I don’t want to be a part of such a Country. JFK saying “Ask not what your Country can do for you, but what you can do for your Country” is a sham. I think he was shot because of that. The Government exists for the people and only when it considers for their welfare must the people protect it. The essence of patriotism is in fighting for what you love. I’m trying too hard to love my Country, don’t think I can be a patriot anymore. Fed up of it.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My name is Stephanie and I volunteer with an organization called Survivors of Torture, Intl, which provides services for refugees and asylees in the San Diego area who have escaped torture in their home countries. I read your blog and thought you might be interested in this article:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20070618-9999-1m18torture.html

I hope you find it worth reading and sharing with others, especially today, the UN International Day in Support of Victims of Torture. Your blog is great--thanks for spreading awareness of an issue that many don't know much about.


Stephanie

notorture.org

June 26, 2007 at 12:47 PM  
Blogger Aditya Swarup said...

Thanks stephanie... I had a look at the article.
After a little further reading I learnt that even someone like Alan Dershowitz ... an established HR advocate, has prescribed the use of torture in extreme circumstances.

This is bad publicity in a nation which expressly bans the use of torture (most nations do) but still practice it.
Thanks for the link. Would see what I can do to commemorate torture day.

June 27, 2007 at 12:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Google
WWW YOUR DOMAIN NAME
http://rpc.technorati.com/rpc/ping